[GE users] Grid Engine 6.2u5 courtesy binaries are available

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jan 21 22:31:42 GMT 2010

darkstar <udo.grabowski at kit.edu> writes:

> to my understanding, gridengine.org is an independent open
> organization which is just sponsored by Sun, so Sun licenses
> should not apply here. Since there are SGE binaries from Sun
> and different GE courtesy binaries, I conclude that the one
> is the Sun version with real money to pay (for, maybe, enhanced
> functionality), and the other is the gridengine.org version
> (whatever license that has) where someone who knows has to
> clarify if and what is to pay (and who is the receiver of that
> money).
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't give such a legal opinion, but you should get one before
disregarding Sun legal notices in the source and web pages, and
trademarks (on the redirection from gridengine.org to the advertised
location of the binaries).

Look:  I _suspect_ the licence currently under
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=GE-6.2U5-OS-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI
is a bug.  However, unless Sun does something -- and I'm surprised
no-one has commented -- that's what there is.

--
(Dr) Dave Love
?E-Science?, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org