[GE users] SGE configuration for multi-core multi-processor nodes cluster

letigre anthony.wachs at irsn.fr
Mon Jan 25 15:04:02 GMT 2010

Hi all,
I am pretty new here so please forgive me if my question sounds too basic but ur help would anyway be much appreciated.

I have been submitting parallel jobs to a new cluster which comprises 44 nodes, each made of 2 quadri-core processors, i.e. 8 processors per node. SGE configuration has been set up very basically on the cluster and in the current state, SGE always distributes a N processors job on N nodes (if N  is less than 44). This is not very efficient for large jobs and not very predictable in terms of distribution as soon as N > 44. What we are looking for is the following configuration:
(a) serial and parallel jobs up to 7 processors are pile up on already partly occupied nodes if available.
Example: assume that all nodes are available  except Node 1 on which 3 processors are used, if I submit a 4 processors job, I would like all processes to run on Node 1, in the current configuration I would have the following: process 1 on Node 2, process 2 on Node 3, process 3 on Node 4 and process 4 on Node 5
(b) big jobs submitted on M processors, where M is a multiple of 8, are distributed on M/8 nodes, if available, which implies that my job occupies all processors of the nodes on which it runs.

Option (a) would contribute to have nodes where all processors are available such that option (b) is feasible.

Ultimately, it would be nice, somehow, to be able to set the number of processors used on each node by a job.
Example: I submit a 32 processors job and I would like it to run on 8 nodes with 4 processors per node.

Is there a way to configure the SGE set up to do that all or partly ? Is this a part of SGE set up and should I specify it as I submit  jobs with "qsub" ?

I am pretty sure this might sound like basic configuration to many of you but any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony