[GE users] Which process should own the sge_qmaster and sge_shadowd processes?

wlee_hess wlee at hess.com
Mon Jan 25 17:13:58 GMT 2010

To group,

I have just installed SGE 6.2u5 with both my sge_qmaster and sge_shadowd server processes running on two new RedHat 5 Linux servers. These two servers will replace two older Sun x86 systems running Solaris 10 and SGE 6.1u4.

What id should start and own the sge_qmaster and sge_shadowd processes?

Currently on the the new systems, the processes are owned by the "sgeadmin" (UID=2084) account that we have.   I did run the "inst_sge -upd" as the "root" user and the startup scripts are started up by the root account.

The reason why I ask is that when I look at the output of prstat on our Solaris systems, it shows that the sge_qmaster and sge_schedd processes are owned by the "root" user.

It is curious though that when I run a "ps -ef | grep sge_qmaster", the output shows that "sgeadmin" is the owner of the sge_qmaster process.

I just want to make sure that I've configured things correctly on our new Linux servers as these will become our production SGE servers once we have tested them out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Wayne Lee