[GE users] priority by the number of running jobs

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Tue Jan 26 16:24:58 GMT 2010

Even if they all have the same functional shares, you'll get the effect
you want.  Each user's functional share gives him N "tickets".  If that
user has 1 job, that job gets all N tickets.  If the user has 10 jobs,
each job only gets N/10 tickets.  The more jobs a user has, the fewer
tickets each job will get.  In the end, the number of tickets a job has
determines its priority.

You may also want to explicitly disable the job share.  Otherwise, a
smart user can use the -js switch to qsub to give his jobs additional
tickets.  (Set weight_job=0, weight_project=0.33, weight_user=0.33,
weight_department=0.33 in the scheduler config.  See sched_conf(5).)

Daniel