[GE users] implementation opinion / suggestions

jesperkrogh jesper at krogh.cc
Thu Jan 28 18:38:52 GMT 2010

craffi wrote:
> I would never use classic spooling on a cluster this size if we did not
> have the Isilon storage gear. Every NFS client uses a different IP
> address to speak to the NFS server and the algorithm-based load
> balancing is done via using arp calls to migrate the NFS IP endpoints
> between Isilon storage nodes as needed. The end result is we can drive
> 24 GigE ports at wire speed while servicing a single-namespace NFS
> volume. Works great.

10GbitE can easily be served using a standard linux kernel and a 10GbitE
NIC directly in the server. We use a  Sun X4600 but it is by no means
overloaded filling the link. If needed I would just plug a second
10GbitE NIC into the server and put them in a bond. I dont doubt that
the Isilon stuff is far better, but taken the price into the equation
many of us "small" users can go that way.

Then its basically up to whatever SAN / Diskarray you plug in.

--
Jesper