[GE users] SGE Array Task Question.

wlee_hess wlee at hess.com
Thu Jan 28 22:39:57 GMT 2010

Hi group,

I've got a developer I'm working with who uses SGE and the DRMAA interface.  Her problem and questions are below.  We would like to know if what she would like to do is possible with SGE?  We're running both 6.1u4 and 6.2u5 con-currently at this time. Looking at the way SGE works, I don't think we can do this, but if there is a way to do this, then that would be great.

PROBLEM: m-nodes need to run exactly 1 copy of script file S. I would like to know IF it is possible and if so HOW to submit an sge array job that meets the following requirements. Given a range of nodes (node list), a work directory, and a script file S, run exactly 1 copy (and no more) of the script file on each and every node in my node list. If I encounter errors, I will return the appropriate exit code (i.e. 100) to allow the array task to be requeued.

I know how to individually submit to the SGE for each and every node in a range of nodes, but this takes too long. I also know how to run an array job, but I ONLY want ONE copy of my script file to run. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Wayne Lee