[GE users] Prevent job to swap

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Jul 5 15:42:42 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 05.07.2010 um 16:22 schrieb nixter:

> I tested what you said :
>
>>> In fact: you don't know which part of the >>memory the kernel just put
>>> into swap.
>
>>> What you could setup: max. h_vmem = real >>memory + 0.5 swap in the
>>> queue definition after making h_vmem >>consumable and attach it to each
>>> exechost's definition. But it looks like >>only one job of this maximum
>>> request will then be able to run per >>machine, if you request this
>>> maximum.
>

> Worked fine. But I have another queue wich contains nodes with 12G and 24G. How do i specify the memory limit by group of host or by host ? should I use execd_params ?

there is no possibility for now to have something like a cluster-host with per host settings like it's available for cluster-queues. You have the options of:

1) Define it by hand for each machine. You can do this in a loop by using a command like:

$ qconf -mattr exechost complex_values h_vmem=12G node001

2) When you have one and only one queue per machine, ist could also be attached to the queue definition, inside you can use hostgroups to shorten the entry:

$ qconf -sq all.q
complex_values NONE,[@small_nodes=h_vmem=12G],[@big_nodes=h_vmem=24G]

3) It can be put inside an RQS, where you can also use hostgroups (still you need an arbitrary high setting in the exechost definiiton, so that you have something to consume from, but it can be 100G for all machines with one of the above mentioned loops in1) ):

$ qconf -srqs limits
    limit hosts {@small_nodes} to h_vmem=12G
    limit hosts {@big_nodes} to h_vmem=24G

-- Reuti