[GE users] scheduler chooses not the best node in pe smp

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jul 8 10:12:02 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 08.07.2010 um 10:01 schrieb jochen:

> after installing and testing I came to a point where I have a very important question
> regarding the scheduler which chooses a node for a number of slots.
> For example I have create a pe named smp with unlimted slots and $pe_slots as allocation.
> I have also three hosts with 2,2,1 Core installed. How is it possible to force a smp-1 job
> to run ONLY on nodes with 1 core installed?
> In my environment the smp-1 job runs sometimes on a node with to two cores instead of running
> on the node with one core which is the best node for a smp-1 job.

a SMP-1 job is just a serial one. You could set qtype for the two twin core nodes to NONE, and leave the pe_list for the one core node empty. Then submit the serrial job without requesting any PE.

Whether the one core node is the best is not easy to judge, as there could be memory or other resource restrictions. SGE idea is, that you request resources and SGE chooses one of the nodes for you. So you get at leat what you requested, but it can be more.

-- Reuti