[GE users] Checkpointing howto example n°1

spow_ miomax_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 13:50:01 BST 2010

It appears I was badly mistaken with the Kernel/User-based checkpointing. Thanks for the precision.
I am following Reuti's howto : http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/checkpointing.html and I try to have the first script (example 1) running.
I have set all options accordingly to the howto :

queue parameters :
shell : bin/bash
shell_start_mode : unix_behaviour
referenced_checkpoint_objects : check_transparent
flush_submit_sec=4
min_cpu_interval 00:00:15

check_transparent parameters :
interface       transparent
commands    none
ckpt_dir       /tmp/checkpoint
signal           USR2
when            xmr

Unfortunately, the file that should be created under $SGE_CKPT_DIR isn't, though the script does execute until the end, without any errors.
If I echo $SGE_CKPT_DIR, it echoes blank, even though it is correctly specified in the checkpoint params.
If I set SGE_CKPT_DIR=/tmp/checkpoint in the script right before the above echo, it does display /tmp/checkpoint in the output file.
But in both cases, no checkpoint file is created, and I cannot witness the dates being printed in the checkpoint file (for it doesn't exist).

A few years back, a user named Sangamesh had a similar problem (though his file got created) but I found no leads in the answers he had been given.
Maybe there are externate modules I have to install ? I have a 'fresh' install of SGE, nothing else.

Thanks for your help.
Guillaume Quéré

PS : sorry for not publishing the pv messages Reuti, but I get an error anytime I try to post from my previous account.