[GE users] Syslog protocol support in Sun Grid Engine ?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 14 11:00:24 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 13.07.2010 um 17:16 schrieb fabiomartinelli:

> I'd like collect all the Sun Grid Engine system logs in some centralized
> logging system like for instance the triple ( rsyslog , MySQL, phpLogCon ) is
> it possible and somebody has experiences to report ?

what you can do, is to adjust syslog-ng to send entries of a file to the default syslog mechanism. What you then do with it, is up to you. For example a rule in syslog-ng (this is from the tape library backup, but can be adjusted to work for SGE's messages file):

source remote_dsm_error { file("/var/spool/tsm/dsmerror.log" follow_freq(600) flags(no-parse,no-multi-line) program_override("dsm") default-facility(daemon) default-priority(err)); };
destination remote_dsm_logfiles { udp("192.168.151.101" port(514)); };
log { source(remote_dsm_error); destination(remote_dsm_logfiles); flags(flow-control); };

On the receiving side you could then scan for "dsm" resp. "sge" as program source and create a separate file for it. You need at least 3.0.5. It was supposed to work in earlier versions of syslog-ng, but IIRC it didn't.

When you use rsyslog, a similar setup should be possible. Although rsyslog is the default in newer Linux distributions, I stay with syslog-ng for now, as I have all the adjusted scripts and it's working for me.

-- Reuti