[GE users] qsub preventing -clear (JSV)

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 14 14:21:21 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 14.07.2010 um 14:51 schrieb fredwag:

> in the SGE documentation it is stated, that server side JSVs shouldn't
> be scripts. But what are the alternatives? Should one write a C program
> or is perl already o.k. (so script meaning bash or similar?).

it's just a performance issue. Nevertheless you can use scripts - how many jobs do you expect to be submitted per second? When you start from scratch with e.g. a pure C program, you would need to follow the exact communication protocol for a JSV, while this burden is taken from you with the included libs for bash, perl, tcl and JAVA.

When you implement the communication protocol, you can use any programming language you like.

> So not having answered the previous question, for a more complex JSV it
> look like using client side JSV is the right thing.
> When I do some mandatory mangling with the qsub option: How do I prevent
> a user from using the '-clear' flag in which case any administrator
> defined JSV (in $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/sge_request) will not be
> executed?

Although the JSV shouldn't fork, it's still possible to use a bash wrapper which start a more complex computation in C when it's bulky.

-- Reuti