[GE users] monitoring spawned processes

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Jul 16 13:24:25 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 16.07.2010 um 12:46 schrieb fabiomartinelli:

> I need to constraint the SGE system to prevent a user to use more than the
> slots assigned and to leave processes outside the SGE control, I think it's a
> topic similar to this 2004 case
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=9895
>
> I'd like avoid any user interaction in this security policy like request him
> to submit by using some parameters.
>
> kindly somebody has experiences to share?
>
> so far I'm using SGE6.2u3 on CentOS 5.3 64bit, 30 servers,
> many thanks

when the spawned processes were originaly started by an SGE process, they have an additional group id attached and you can set:

$ qconf -sconf
execd_params                 ENABLE_ADDGRP_KILL=TRUE

so that they will be removed by the end of the job.

==

This will not prevent, that a bad user uses more cores, e.g. by threads, than granted.

==

Even with an upgrade to 6.2u5 the core binding request is only a hint, and not hard enforced (AFAIK the Linux kernel allows every user process to change the core affinity anyway).

http://wikis.sun.com/display/gridengine62u5/Using+Job+to+Core+Binding

But it should be possible to add a linear request by a JSV which will at least try to set a core binding. Having this enabled, with any additional process the user will only hurt himself, as all is still executed on the granted core(s).

-- Reuti