[GE users] shadow master problems

murple andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de
Fri Jul 16 13:50:17 BST 2010

Hi,

today we tested shadow master functionality on our cluster. After making
$SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/spool shared between the two master nodes (login1 and
login2) stopping the qmaster on login2 (the old master) and removing the lock
file first seemed to work. login1 noticed the stale heartbeat and started on own
qmaster. Unfortunately the exec-nodes did not notice that change and still tried
to contact login2.
Error messages:

main|node001|W|can't register at "qmaster": unable to contact qmaster using port
6444 on host "login2"

Our setup is 6.2 with shared $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common
$SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/spool is only shared between the login/head nodes.

regards, Andreas