[GE users] Re: [sig-sge] master node selection and $fill_up behaviour

weiser m.weiser at science-computing.de
Wed Jul 21 08:01:51 BST 2010

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 05:01:13PM +0200, Michael van Elst wrote:

> > With SGE 6.2 this seems to have changed: As long as the cluster is
> > completely empty, the old behaviour is still followed. But if there are
> > jobs already, slot allocation becomes erratic. SGE seems to prefer
> > filling up already used machines before re-using free machines.
> Please try to submit a single job, when it is actually started,
> submit the next.

> Im my experience this causes the jobs to be allocated to different
> machines. The fillup only occurs when multiple jobs are started
> in the same scheduler interval.

This is the exact inverse of what I'm seeing: When submitting a series
of jobs onto an empty cluster, some of which are surely scheduled in the
same interval, they end up on their own machines.

When deleting one of those jobs, freeing up one node, and submitting a
new one, which obviously has its very own scheduling interval to be
scheduled, it isn't put on the free node but distributed across three
others that already have jobs.

Thanks,
--
Michael Weiser                science + computing ag
Senior Systems Engineer       Geschaeftsstelle Duesseldorf