[GE users] Ordering nodes based on a resource consumable

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 28 14:19:54 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 28.07.2010 um 14:10 schrieb svibhore:

> Is there a way of submitting jobs where we can specify the order of nodes to be selected based on some consumable resource i.e. Submit the job on the node which has maximum value of consumable (e.g. mem_free) ?

Do you also request "-l mem_free=..."? In principle it's possible to set up (by setting "load_formula -mem_free"), but why do you want to do so? You request a resource like h_vmem / virtual_free / mem_free* and get a node where at least such an amount is available.

When you request (independent from the load) always the node with the most free space instead of filling memory gaps on already used nodes, it might block the following jobs with a larger request.

-- Reuti

*) http://gridengine.info/2009/12/01/adding-memory-requirement-awareness-to-the-scheduler