[GE users] same queue pointing to servers with different cores

rumpelkeks tina.friedrich at diamond.ac.uk
Fri Jul 30 16:56:57 BST 2010

Hi Fabio,

I've got different hardware generations as well and got puzzled with
this a bit.

In particular, although as Sean rightly said SGE figures the resources
out itself, my users complained that the number of slots was shown
incorrectly (e.g. in qstat -f).

One can specify different numbers of slots for different host groups.
Say most of your nodes got 8 slots, but hostgroup X only got four and
hostgroup Y got 16, you can do:

<snip>
slots 8,[@X=4],[@Y=16]
</snip>

in your queue config.

Sorry if that was obvious to you, I remember it took me a while to find
that syntax.

Tina

fabiomartinelli wrote:
> Hi Sean
>
> thanks, I see, it wasn't so obvious from the Qmon GUI but finally I got it
>
> cheers
> Fabio
>

>              seandavi
>              <seandavi at gmail.co
>              m>                                                           To
>                                         users at gridengine.sunsource.net
>              30/07/2010 15.31                                             cc
>
>                                                                      Subject
>              Please respond to          Re: [GE users] same queue pointing
>                    users                to servers with different cores
>              <users at gridengine.
>                sunsource.net>
>

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:29 AM, fabiomartinelli <fabio.martinelli at esa.int>
> wrote:
>       Hello SGE guys
>
>       is it possible create a queue Q with a variable number of cores per
>       server ?
>
>       for instance assign to Q 4 cores of a server X, 8 cores of a server Y
>       and so
>       on ..
>

> This is how SGE works out-of-the-box.  You don't generally have to do
> anything special to have this be the case.
>
> Sean

Tina Friedrich, Computer Systems Administrator, Diamond Light Source Ltd
Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - 01235 77 8442