[GE users] ram limiting users per node

danielgoolsby danielgoolsby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 11:57:48 GMT 2010

I have about 40 dual quad core, half have 24 gigs of ram, other half has 48 gigs of ram a piece.  most users jobs can fill up 8 slots per node easily and not use much ram, but I do have a few users that have some ram intensive matlab jobs that take up about 6-8 gigs of ram per job.

obviously if someone submitted enough jobs (in the grid's current config), they'll put 8 slots on one machine and you'd kill the machine due to ram limitation.

what i'm curious is how do you specify max ram usage per user per node?  if the job gets initially submitted and says it uses 1 gig of ram, and over time it grows to 8 gigs,  if there was a limitation in place, what happens?  does all 8 slots fill up, then if the user violates the ram contraints, does it just suspend jobs until some other processes finishes?

--
--daniel