[GE users] SGE 6.2u5 - inst_sge -bup vs. save_sge_config.sh

wlee_hess wlee at hess.com
Tue Mar 2 21:27:14 GMT 2010

To forum,

I have a few questions regarding the backup of an SGE configuration.

1. I see that "inst_sge -bup" and "save_sge_config.sh" both perform backups of the SGE configuration.  However, when looking at what gets backed up, the "inst_sge -bup" script looks to have more information that is backed up?  Can someone tell me what the differences are between both?  One thought I have is that "save_sge_config.sh" is used to backup the SGE configuration so that the configuration can be imported into a newer version of SGE.  I'm only guessing here.

2. I would like to use one of the above as a way to perform a regular backup of my SGE configuration so that when I make a change to the SGE configuration, I have a backup of the previous setup in case my future changes cause a problem.  Do any of you recommend the use of "save_sge_config.sh" or "inst_sge -bup" as a tool to regularly backup my SGE configuration?

3. If I am able to use one of the above scripts to backup my SGE configuration, is there a way to take my past backup and quickly restore the backup to my running SGE setup?  When I built our newer SGE Qmaster and Shadow servers, I used the backup from "save_sge_config.sh" as input to configure the SGE 6.2u5 systems.  This seem to work pretty well.  I didn't see any options in either script that could do this?

Regards,

Wayne Lee