[GE users] ram limiting users per node

danielgoolsby danielgoolsby at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 02:10:06 GMT 2010

I see where you can check whether or not there's enough free space.. but how can you tell the scheduler that your process (or slot) will need up to 7 gigs of ram.  Half of my machines have 24 gigs of ram which could only run three of these jobs, but the other half has 48 gigs of ram which could run 7 of the jobs.  How would the scheduler know that my process would need at most 7 gigs.. then when it went to allocate the jobs, not to exceed the upper hard limit of ram that i'm requesting per slot?

Is there a way with qsub to specify that you'll need 7 gigs of memory, and only run if there's at least 8 gigs of mem_free (-l mf).  I understand the mem_free part, but is there a way to do the 'allocate 7 gigs of memory' up front?

That make any sense?

Daniel

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:17 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de<mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>> wrote:
Hi,

Am 02.03.2010 um 12:57 schrieb danielgoolsby:

> I have about 40 dual quad core, half have 24 gigs of ram, other
> half has 48 gigs of ram a piece.  most users jobs can fill up 8
> slots per node easily and not use much ram, but I do have a few
> users that have some ram intensive matlab jobs that take up about
> 6-8 gigs of ram per job.
>
> obviously if someone submitted enough jobs (in the grid's current
> config), they'll put 8 slots on one machine and you'd kill the
> machine due to ram limitation.
>
> what i'm curious is how do you specify max ram usage per user per
> node?  if the job gets initially submitted and says it uses 1 gig
> of ram, and over time it grows to 8 gigs,  if there was a
> limitation in place, what happens?  does all 8 slots fill up, then
> if the user violates the ram contraints, does it just suspend jobs
> until some other processes finishes?

a usual approach is:

http://gridengine.info/2009/12/01/adding-memory-requirement-awareness-
to-the-scheduler

You could even limit the maximum per user per node with an RQS, but I
think this is not necessary at the first place.

-- Reuti

> --
> --daniel
> --