[GE users] Checking running job complex requests

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 3 10:26:07 GMT 2010

Am 02.03.2010 um 20:16 schrieb kisielk:

>> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 16:19 -0800, kisielk wrote:
>>> How can I tell what complexes a currently running job requested? In
>>> particular I'd like to know the expected runtime based on the s_rt
>>> request, but the other parameters would be nice to know as well.
>>
>> With 'qstat -r' or 'qstat -r -xml'.
>>> From the qstat(1) manpage:
>>
>> -r     Prints extended information about the resource requirements of
>> the displayed jobs. Please refer to the OUTPUT FORMATS sub-section
>> Expanded Format below for detailed information.
>>
>> I find the -xml output generally a bit easier to parse.
>>
>> /mark
>>

> Yes, I knew about this. I guess I should be a bit more specific
> about my use case. I'd like to be able to anticipate when a job is
> going to end. If a user requested s_rt or h_rt then that is a good
> indicator in the qstat output. However, if they didn't explicitly
> request a time then the default queue limit applies and that's not
> stated anywhere in the job description.
>
> Is there a simple way of anticipating the time the job is expected
> to terminate, regardless of whether or not the user requested the
> s_rt or h_rt complexes?

On the one hand you can try the status script from:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/files/documents/7/208/status-1.4.tgz

which includes an option "-r" for the current elapsed runtime (or
waittime) of a job. As the script is reading `qstat -r` anyway, it
could be extended to read the h_rt/s_rt resource requests from each
record and compute the estimated left runtime. But it's neither
reading the limits in the queues, nor the default runtime from the
scheduler configuration. Although in principle it could be
implemented there, I think that this is a point where the script
starts to get convoluted.

I suggest to file an issue for additonal options to qstat:

-e => estimated left runtime (default request, not enforced)
-left => guaranteed final left runtime due to h_rt/s_rt of job or queue
-ru => current runtime/waittime of a job

-e and -left could be combined when the one in effect would be
mentioned in parantheses after the given time (e) (h) (s)

Can you please file an issue.