[GE users] job_pid: Permission denied

rsayde rsayde at carbondesignsystems.com
Wed Mar 3 15:57:17 GMT 2010

> Was the call the last executable line in the script? Then this is
> taken by the interpreting shell as the value which is returned to
> calling process.

No, but the script is run with -e which causes it to exit on the first bad command line. I fixed this by adding a wrapper script that checks the return status and returns 1 on failure and 0 on success.

> No, the origin doesn't matter and is the same in the end. Does the
> setup of your application need some precautions which are for any
> reason only present for the first call of it and leaves any file/
> directory after the first call in a dirty state, which crashes the
> application for sure?

The 99 occurred because I gave the application some bad data. So it was a true error on my part. So it should not reschedule the job.

> Maybe mapping the 99 to 100 as application error would be better then.
> You could clean up the problematic state before and clear the error
> for a rerun of the job.

I don't understand why 100 is better than 99. I've tried to read the docs on handling errors and I'm confused. Do I need to manage files in the spool directory? I would think that SGE could do that.

thanks
Richard