[GE users] Queue instances with different resource limits than the cluster queue

leonardz leonardz at sickkids.ca
Thu Mar 4 18:15:24 GMT 2010

The problem we are trying to solve is:

nodes of type A we want to run a maximum of 24 hours in all.q
nodes of type B we want to run a maximum of 4 hours in all.q
nodes of type B we want to run a maximum of 24 hours in specialprojects.q

so that special projects do not need to wait as long as 24 hours to start.

Our all.q sets h_rt=87010
on one node I set h_rt=14400 for all.q at node in qmon (couldn't find command line syntax to do it)

I then submitted a job -l h_rt=20000 -q all.q at node and it ran successfully on that node even though I requested 20000 seconds on a node that I want to limit cpu time on.

So the question is :

If I have nodes of type B on which I want only short jobs (4hours or less) to run in all.q and also have a different queue for special projects which can run longer on the same nodes:

a) is that possible?
b) if so how?
c) if not , is there a better way to achieve what we want?

SGE is 6.2u5 running on Solaris10u8 and compute nodes are SLES 10SP2.

Len Zaifman
Systems Manager, High Performance Systems
The Centre for Computational Biology
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Ave.
Toronto, Ont M5G 1X8

tel: 416-813-5513
email: leonardz at sickkids.ca

This e-mail may contain confidential, personal and/or health information(information which may be subject to legal restrictions on use, retention and/or disclosure) for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.