[GE users] To run same scripts on multiple hosts

arvindpetaru arvindpetaru at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 20:36:00 GMT 2010

Hi,

I'm new to SGE. I've installed SGE 6.2u5 on sparc solaris 10. I have an existing project which is similar to SGE design of Master/Slave interactions. So want to integarte existing project into SGE environment.

Brief overview of my existing project....

At setup, user would identify the master and slave hosts and a installation script would install all the required K-shell scripts(around 30+) and couple of C-binaries on eah host. So, after the installation process, each host(including master-host) would have same directory-structure and files(scripts and binaries). After installation, each host would start its own locally available scripts in a particlar order to gather its own data and pass it on to Master-host. Then the master host would signal all hosts to run its binaries at the same time. So the C-binary is started and stopped at the same time on all hosts gathering required data-info and passed it on to master-host. Master-host would process this data from all hosts and completes it assigned task....

Here, are my below questions:-

1> How do I ask SGE to start running same scripts on each host at the same time ?

2> Can I use a newly-developed script to initiate to use locally available scripts in each host to run.? If so, how to do that ?

3> Few scripts internally call other scripts...Does SGE have control/track these called-scripts? If not, what happens if the called-script fails? Does it get notified to the master-host ?

4> How to pass data from each host to master-host. I read abt prolog/epilog.....but how mcuh data it can support......my data gathering on each host is huge.

5> Also, the C-binary spawns mutiple processes on each host based on the data obtained on it. But, here the criteria is that....C-binary is started and stopped at te same time on each host machine. Can we do this in SGE env ?

I'd appreciate your clarifications on the above questions/concerns.

Thanks in advance.