[GE users] Slots and CPU's

murphygb brian.murphy at siemens.com
Fri Mar 5 19:40:04 GMT 2010

Hello all.  Newbie here so forgive if this is obvious.  I've read and read, jumping from online manual to man pages and back again and can't seem figure out what I need to do.  Imagine I have a 16 processor machine configured with 16 job slots; np_load_avg is set to 1.  I could submit one 16 processor job or sixteen 1 processor jobs.  Let's say someone is running a 4 processor job there.  I would like the next job to only go to that machine if the next job is asking for 12 processors or less and if that next job is asking for more than 12 to pend until the resources are available.  If the next job only asks for 4 processors, then run (now the machine is using 8 processors and thus the next job will only run or pend depending on whether the user asks for 8 processors or less and so on.)  Do I use a complex like cpu or s_cpu when issuing the qsub command?  Do I need to define a consumable?  Right now, the jobs always go there (as long as the load average is under 16 since np_load_avg is 1) which is typical and that means I can have say three 12 processor jobs dispatched there all competing for only 16 processors.  Succinctly, I am looking for a 1 to 1 correlation between available processors and what the user asks for when submitting.  Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.