[GE dev] Grid Engine ported to mainframe Linux

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 22:05:57 GMT 2010

Just FYI,

Grid Engine now has S390 and S390x (aka: zLinux, Linux on System z,
Linux on zSeries, or mainframe Linux) as the supported arch strings.
The zLinux Grid Engine port can be compiled as 31-bit and 64-bit.

Back in the SGE 5.3 days, SGE ran fine on zLinux. However,  we
introduced the new arch string format in SGE 6, and we need to
explicitly define the hardware name or else SGE won't run on the
platform.

While I don't think anyone would use a cluster of IBM mainframes for
number crunching, mainframes are used in many banks, and the zLinux
port would enable a mainframe to offload the compute intensive tasks
to a Grid Engine cluster constructed by general hardware.

Lastly, I only tested the port on a z900 (the 2064 series) mainframe,
nevertheless Grid Engine should work on later mainframe models... let
me know if you find problems, and I will be happy to fix them for you
:-)

Rayson

P.S. the CVS checkin log here:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=35&dsMessageId=245981