[GE users] Interactive jobs methodology

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 10 14:30:26 GMT 2010

Am 09.03.2010 um 12:00 schrieb introx:

> I have 25 users and 5 workstation which I want to use for
> interactive jobs during day time.
> I want to use SGE in order to either allocate session on these
> machines (qlogin) or in order to run the interactive jobs on these
> hosts using qsh or qsub.

qsh is often not applicable for now due to security concerns in X11
(you can search the archive for it). `qrsh xterm` should be used when
ssh is set up as startup method: http://gridengine.sunsource.net/
howto/qrsh_qlogin_ssh.html . When you want to use it, it's also
necessary to recompile SGE to create a tightly integrated sshd,
although the installed sshd or SGE won't be touched (we only need a
modified sshd which can be put into /usr/sge lateron). Otherwise you
only achieve a loose integration of your interactive jobs but it's a
point to start of course.

Nevertheless it would be an RFE to rework the qsh to use the -
builtin- starter once it's capable of X11 forwarding.

> (In the second way all users will log in to a single machine which
> will be functioned as a submitter host only.)

Where is the /home and data of all the users? Often they are
reachable on a central machine and so it would be best to login first
thereto and issue qrsh or qlogin from there. This would also avoid
the need of all local machines being submit hosts.

-- Reuti