[GE users] [GE users] Reservations don't work (really this time)

rems0 Richard.Ems at cape-horn-eng.com
Thu Mar 11 14:54:08 GMT 2010

Hi list,

either reservations are not working here, or I'm still configuring
something wrong, or I don't understand how they work.

This in with SGE 6.2u5.

The configuration:
One queue t2.q.
Two PEs c4_pe and c5_pe for two groups of nodes, @c4 nodes and @c5 nodes.
The @c4 nodes have 4 slots enabled each, the @c5 nodes have 8 slots each.
The allocation rule is set to 4 on c4_pe and 8 on c5_pe.
This configuration works perfectly for our scenario.

The actual situation:
I have all slots and nodes in use, and several jobs queued.
The running jobs are all parallel jobs, some using 8 slots, some using
16 slots.
The waiting jobs are all requesting 8 slots.

A new job requesting 16 slots with reservations turned on, and
higher priority than all 8 slots jobs got submitted at 14:00 .
Nevertheless in the last 90 minutes, 6 of the jobs requesting only 8
slots got started, and not the 16 slots job requesting reservations.

Why???

The 16 slots job got submitted using wildcards for the PE to start on
any of both PEs, the same as the 8 slots jobs. s_rt and h_rt are set in
the queue configuration to 8760 hours.
default_duration is set to 8760 hours and max_reservation to 20.
No s_rt or h_rt were passed to the 8 slots jobs.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com

Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
46011 Valencia
Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924