[GE users] exclusive host use and subordinate queue

ajw ajw at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 11 17:06:49 GMT 2010

> I have 2 queues set in grid engine.  A normal priority queue and a low priority queue which is subordinate to the normal priority queue.
>
> In normal (non-exclusive) use I have it configured so when a job is submitted to the normal priority queue any jobs running in the low priority queue will get killed and resubmitted.
>
> The problem comes when a normal priority job is submitted with excl=true and a low priority job is already running.  The normal priority job won't start in this situation.  I get this message:
> (-l exclusive=true) cannot run at host "xxx" because exclusive resource (exclusive) is already in use
>
> Is there any way to change this behavior?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but it would seem I have finally solved this problem.  If I set the exclusive=true complex on the queue instances and not the hosts, everything would seem to work as I want.

Grid engine runs the normal priority exclusive job since it is only queue exclusive which causes the low priority job to get suspended/killed.

Andy