[GE users] Is there a way to run prolog scripts (as root) in all machines involved in the Parallel task?

goncalo goncalo at lip.pt
Thu Mar 11 18:18:52 GMT 2010

Hi Reuti

> why do you want to do so? Open MPI is tighly integrated into SGE as
> long as you compile it --with-sge in the configure step. SGE would
> disallow a `qrsh -inherit ...` to a machine not in the granted list
> of machines. Whether it uses -builtin-, rsh, ssh or tight-ssh as
> startup method doesn't matter.

I'm using the SGE tight integration:

     [root at hpc001 ~]# /usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.2.8/bin/ompi_info | grep
gridengine
                      MCA ras: gridengine (MCA v1.0, API v1.3, Component
v1.2.8)
                      MCA pls: gridengine (MCA v1.0, API v1.3, Component
v1.2.8)

However, in the link

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#run-n1ge-or-sge

it is stated:

     "Specifically, if you execute an |mpirun| command in a SGE job, it
will automatically use the SGE mechanisms to launch and kill processes."

What do they mean with "SGE mechanisms to launch and kill processes"? Do
I have to have qrsh working? I've seen that I can use qrsh working
either with rsh (which is very insecure and I do not like it), or with
ssh (but the accounting is not correctly done). How do you guys deal
with this issue?

> In the prolog you can use a loop across the list of machines to do it
> on your own though.

I though about that, but that would mean that I would have to allow root
ssh to all hosts, and this is something I wouldn't like...

Cheers
Goncalo