[GE users] [OT] SGE and Eucayptus clouds

iank ikaufman at ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 12 18:08:53 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:55 AM, seandavi <seandavi at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are a government lab and paying for Amazon cloud time is likely to
> be problematic.  I wondered if anyone had thoughts or experience with
> using SGE's new abilities to add nodes dynamically to a private cloud,
> such as a Eucalyptus cloud (http://open.eucalyptus.com/)?  We don't
> have such a cloud in place, but I would like to know what other folks
> are thinking about the issues of SGE and private/institutional clouds.

This is something I have looked into a little, but not enough to really say
much yet. I support a group that is very interested. I am also looking into
OpenNebula, since it also integrates with SGE somewhat to manage
Xen, VMWare and KVM images as well as Eucalyptus like cloud images.
One advantage is that once the "job" terminates, the image is still retained
as opposed to getting deleted.

The OpenNebula documentation has very good examples regarding using
SGE to dynamically manage your cloud.

Ian

--
Ian Kaufman