[GE users] [OT] SGE and Eucayptus clouds

llorente llorente at dacya.ucm.es
Fri Mar 12 22:32:54 GMT 2010

Dear Razvan,

> OpenNebula looks good went you look only at the documentation. I implemented
> an infrastructure with OpenNebula and in reality is does less.

This is a very serious comment. Please I would like you clarify which part of our documentation does not reflect the reality of our technology.

> You can do a
> better OpenNebula by just writeing your own scripts using libvirt

OpenNebula only uses scripts to interface to the underlying services for virtualization, storage, and networking. Most part of OpenNebula is C++. I find very difficult to implement all the features at http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:features only using libvirt

> On the test
> I used OpenNebula that comes with Ubuntu 9.10. I tried to installit from
> source but it failled to start. At the esence OpenNebula is just a bunch on
> ruby scripts that copies over ssh the virtual hard-drive and starts a machine
> on that host.

This is very extreme way to simplify thinks, is SGE just a bunch of scripts to remotely execute jobs using remote execution?.

> When is comes to network all settings are in vane because the
> IP's are alocated via the usual dhcp way (from the dhcp server currently on
> the network).

Again, you are simplifying the technology. Please have a look at http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel1.4:vgg

Sean, If you are interested in using OpenNebula for dynamic execution of virtual cluster please have a look at:

- BIG Grid VM Working Group: http://lists.opennebula.org/pipermail/users-opennebula.org/2010-February/001459.html
- Batch Virtualization Project at CERN: http://indico.cern.ch/sessionDisplay.py?sessionId=15&slotId=0&confId=55893#2009-09-21
-  http://blog.dsa-research.org/?p=98

The first reference includes a report (https://wiki.nbic.nl/images/f/f6/ProgressReport-1.0.pdf) comparing  different open source technologies for cloud computing in the execution of virtualized computing clusters.

Regards,

Ignacio

Ignacio M. Llorente, Full Professor (Catedratico): http://dsa-research.org/llorente
DSA Research Group:  web http://dsa-research.org and blog http://blog.dsa-research.org