[GE users] Cluster Partitioning via PEs

aeszter Ansgar.Esztermann at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Mon Mar 15 12:54:34 GMT 2010

Hello everyone,

migrating from a Torque/Maui installation, I am following along the lines of this message to implement somthing akin to "partitions":
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=204566

The idea is that parallel jobs must be scheduled in a way that conforms to our Infiniband topology -- isolated sets of 24 nodes each, so slot combinations belonging to different switches are not allowed.
I was under the impression that I could use host groups for nodes connected to a common switch, then define somthing like implicit parallel environments in the queue config like this:

pe_list intelmpi,[@ib1=intelmpi_ib1],[@ib2=intelmpi_ib2]

However, SGE (6.2u3, to be exact), does not seem to share that opinion:

# qconf -Aq short
Parallel environment "intelmpi_ib1" does not exist

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Thanks,

A.

--