[GE users] How to move the common directory ?

pmuller philippe.muller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 08:50:07 GMT 2010

Thanks for your help.

I'll try the to use the cell name trick !

Philippe Muller

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Daniel Templeton <Dan.Templeton at sun.com<mailto:Dan.Templeton at sun.com>> wrote:
On 03/17/10 00:54, pmuller wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post, and I'm setting up my first Grid Engine
platform. I would like to run a shadow master to ensure the grid
availability.

 From what I understand, I have to share the following directories :
- The Master Spool directory : It must be available for writing from
both master instances.
- $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common : It must be available for writing from
both masters, and for reading from all nodes.
Is it true ?

Yes.

I currently specify the Master Spool directory with the
QMASTER_SPOOL_DIR variable in my install template file.
However, I can't find a way to select a specific common directory.

There isn't one.  It's always $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common

Since I have to share the common directory between all my hosts, I'm
would like to move it outside of $SGE_ROOT. Something like
/mnt/sgecommons would be great.

I figured out several solutions :
- Install the qmaster, move the directory content elsewhere on my
filesystem and add a symlink. =>  This way, I can't easily automate my
grid deployment.

What about installing the master, moving the whole cell directory off to somewhere on your remote file system, and then mounting it under $SGE_ROOT as default (or whatever the cell name is)?

- Hack the $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/sgemaster script to change the
common directory location - could it work ? (I don't know SGE
internals...)

Probably not something you want to take on.  I believe there's an open RFE to implement this behavior, though.

What's the cleaner way to share the common directory between hosts ?

FYI :
- We don't use NFS for data sharing - just GlusterFS.
- We plan to use Classic spooling. Berkeley DB server looks
interesting but seems to be a single point of failure and could open
security holes.

And here's a really interesting loophole I just found.  I just installed a cluster with a cell name of "../../../var/tmp/sgecell", and it worked!  (My $SGE_ROOT is /usr/local/sge.)  The cell directory is in /var/tmp/sgecell, and the cluster seems to be perfectly happy with that.  Obviously I haven't done much testing of it, but it does appear to be something you should consider exploring further.

Daniel

Thanks for your help.

Philippe Muller