[GE users] 6.2u4: resource reservation not working for some jobs

tkaminski t.kaminski at science-computing.de
Fri Mar 19 13:35:02 GMT 2010

Hi Richard,

rems0 schrieb:
> Hi list, hi reuti,
>
> resource reservation is still not working for me.
> In the scheduler configuration (qconf -ssconf)
> max_reservation is set to 20.
> default_duration is set to 8760:00:00.

are you monitoring your scheduler?

------------------------- >8 -------------------------
qconf -ssconf | grep params
params            MONITOR=1
------------------------- 8< -------------------------

The location of the schedule file is:

<sge_root>/<cell>/common/schedule

Do you find any RESERVING statements in the log file?

> As mentioned in the bug above, I changed default_duration in the
> scheduler configuration from INFINITY to 8760 hours (1 year).
>
> Should this be enough or should I also change s_rt and/or h_rt in the
> queue definitions? These are both also set to INFINITY.

This should be enough.

> The situation now is that jobs asking for a reservation - these jobs
> need 16 slots - are still waiting in the queue while other lower
> priority jobs - these ones run on 8 slots - fill the queue each time an
> 8 slot running job finishes.

I have the same problem and no solution yet. Although there are free
slots the scheduler always reserves the same slots for the high priority
jobs (64 slots) which are still in use. Thus small low priority jobs (16
slots) are started as soon as slots (which are not reserved by the
scheduler) are getting free.

Does anybody find a solution/workaround?

> All of these jobs are now started without passing any s_rt/h_rt value.
> Is this the error?

No, it is not. In this case the scheduler takes the default_duration as
runtime.

> Thanks,
> Richard

Bye,
Thomas
--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,