[GE users] SGE-6.2u3: Upgrade tu 6.2u5 with running tight pe jobs?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Mar 22 12:42:15 GMT 2010

Am 22.03.2010 um 11:23 schrieb soyez:

> we need to upgrade a major cluster to 6.2u5.  The cluster is running
> something like 400 to 500 jobs, many of them tightly integrated pe jobs.
>
> From "http://gridengine.sunsource.net/install62patch.txt":
> 				:
> 				:
>    You cannot install the patch with running interactive jobs, 'qmake'
>    jobs or with running parallel jobs which use the tight integration
>    support (control_slaves=true in PE configuration is set).
> 				:
> 				:
>
> Okay.  But how DO we upgrade with running parallel jobs which use the
> tight integration support?  We cannot wait until none of these jobs

are you issuing new `mpirun`s in your jobs? Once all the slave tasks are spread, they can continue like normal jobs when you issue a "softstop". Depending on the used MPI library (i.e. a daemon based one), it's also possible to issue new `mpirun`s.

As the sgeexecd is down, nothing can be started by `qrsh -inherit ...` between the nodes is the limitation.

-- Reuti

> are running.  Any experiences?  As we need accurate accounting info
> we'd rather not use the way of installing a new parallel version for
> smooth migration either.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Erik Soyez.
>
> --
>

> --
> Vorstand/Board of Management:
> Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,
> Dr. Arno Steitz, Dr. Ingrid Zech
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
> Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
> Michel Lepert
> Sitz/Registered Office: Tuebingen
> Registergericht/Registration Court: Stuttgart
> Registernummer/Commercial Register No.: HRB 382196

Philipps-University of Marburg
AK Frenking / FB Chemie
Thomas Reuter
Hans-Meerweinstraße