[GE users] altering ressource limits on running job doesn't work

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Mar 23 13:52:41 GMT 2010

Hi,

Am 23.03.2010 um 12:41 schrieb geralt:

> I've tried to change i.e. the walltime of a running job with qalter,
> but to no avail. According to the manpage, such a change isn't
> actually possible with a job thats already being executed...  This can
> be rather annoying when someone wants his 2 month job to run for a few
> hours longer. Does anyone know any workarounds on this?

you could try to shutdown the execd on this particular node with "softstop". I think the job will then continue as SGE's limits are not enforced. Having a h_cpu OTOH will set an ulimit and the kernel will enforce this aynway.

> Are there
> plans to change this behaviour?

Changing the resource request will invalidate any computed scheduling and/or backfilling. Therefore it wouldn't fit in the current intention of SGE's behavior. Nevertheless there was a request for some real-time behavior:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=232858

Also there the problem was, that a sudden appearance of a "must run now job" will trash the done scheduling. In your case this "extend my job now" would fit into this enhancement.