[GE users] Accounting file shows submit time later than start.

griznog griznog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 02:08:46 BST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to graph pending times for jobs using the accounting file
by startime - submittime and am seeing a lot of jobs that have a
submit time after the start time. For example:

jbh at tin ~ $ qacct -j 135506 | grep time
qsub_time    Sun Mar 28 17:21:36 2010
start_time   Sun Mar 28 14:55:42 2010
end_time     Sun Mar 28 15:38:45 2010
ru_utime     5856.339
ru_stime     931.161

I've looked at the submission hosts and they all have the correct time
to within a few seconds, as do the compute nodes and qmaster and all
are in the same time zone. Am I reading the accounting file wrong? I'm
assuming that the fields are in the same order as the accounting
manpage and am using this to calculate the pending time with field 10
as starttime and field 9 as submit time:

awk -F ":" '{ print $10-$9 }' accounting

Can someone clear up for me exactly where these times come from and if
it's possible to calculate the pending time this way or if there is a
better method I can use?

Thanks,

jbh