[GE users] Accounting file shows submit time later than start.

griznog griznog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:16:38 BST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> which of these times are the correct ones?

I looked up another example for which the submitting user records
submission, start and end times outside of gridengine:

jbh at tin ~ $ qacct -j 135828 | grep time
qsub_time    Sun Mar 28 18:07:41 2010
start_time   Sun Mar 28 15:58:58 2010
end_time     Mon Mar 29 00:12:32 2010
ru_utime     114183.990
ru_stime     872.392

But the user recorded:

Submission: 2010-03-28 18:07:45
Start: 2010-03-29 01:59:05
End: 2010-03-29 10:12:38

Which implies start and end times in gridengine are being adjusted 10
hours into the past in the accounting file for this job.

> You can export TZ on the command line and set it to GMT+2 or GMT-5 or so and the output of qacct will change accordingly. Neverthless it should be consistent.

Yeah, all numbers off by the same offset would have made sense.

>> I've looked at the submission hosts and they all have the correct time
>> to within a few seconds, as do the compute nodes and qmaster and all
>> are in the same time zone. Am I reading the accounting file wrong? I'm
>> assuming that the fields are in the same order as the accounting
>> manpage and am using this to calculate the pending time with field 10
>> as starttime and field 9 as submit time:
>>
>> awk -F ":" '{ print $10-$9 }' accounting
>
> Hence you got a negative value here?

Correct. Using the 10 hours from the above example, I tried:

awk -F ":" '{ print $10-$9+36000 }' accounting | sort -n | uniq -c | less

which produces fewer negative entries than without the adjustment, but
shows that 10 hours is not a consistent offset among jobs with this
accounting problem.

Also, this is 6.2u5 using the courtesy binaries and all running on
CentOS 5.4 x86_64.

Thanks,

jbh