[GE users] Queue based on loadavg

dasf dasf2008 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 01:48:09 BST 2010

Gentlemen,

Is is possible to create a queue in such a way that serial jobs will be assigned based on the load average of each node? I mean, each new job will start on nodes with the smallest load average.

Let me explain why. I am working on a cluster with 80 nodes, each one having 4 processors.
Users suggested me that if, say, 100 serial jobs are submitted, they should load all nodes first (80 jobs) and then start to load a second job on each node, instead of loading 4 jobs on 25 nodes and leaving 55 nodes free.

I thought about creating queues with just one slot and sorting them in a way that they would load all nodes the way I want. But this sounds like a brute force approach. I wonder if there is a more elegant way of asking SGE to load jobs according to the load average of the compute nodes.

Thank you in advance!

Demetrio