[GE users] Matching parallel job CPU types

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 31 00:17:27 BST 2010

Am 24.03.2010 um 22:21 schrieb kisielk:

> We have a cluster with homogenous CPU types.

I assume you mean heterogenous in this context.

> I'd like to configure our system so that parallel jobs prefer to be
> on the same type of CPU if possible. I know I can set up complexes
> with the CPU type and request that, but I don't actually care what
> the value is so long as it is the same for all hosts participating
> in the parallel job. Is this possible?

You will need one PE per CPU type:

http://gridengine.info/2006/02/14/grouping-jobs-to-nodes-via-wildcard-pes

Nowadays one queue is sufficient to set this up, just attach each PEs
to one hostgroup therein.

This way all jobs will be on the same CPU type, a mix is not possible
this way for now (because there is no pe_seq_no by which you could
setup a third PE containing all machines and which would be tried last).