[GE users] ge 6.2u5 issues

leonardz leonardz at sickkids.ca
Wed Mar 31 14:30:06 BST 2010

We recently upgraded our ge hardware and software from:

2 core /4GB sol10u4 system with ge 6.0u8

4 core/16GB sol10u8 system with ge6.2u5

the ge manages ~ 220 nodes and ~ 1100 cores

2 surprises:

1) If a single user submits 100's to 1000's of jobs the ge commands (qstat, etc) hangs for minutes until all the submitted jobs are scheduled to either run or wait.
    After this  "hang" responsiveness is back to normal
    This does not seem right. Is there a way of tuning the scheduler to schedule jobs and still let qstat and other commands function without these delays?

2) our current ge instance running only 1 cell runs at 11 GB - 12 GB of memory usage. This seems like a lot of memory , especially since we used to us < 4 GB.
    Is this expected? Are there tunable controls to manage memory usage?

Len Zaifman
Systems Manager, High Performance Systems
The Centre for Computational Biology
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Ave.
Toronto, Ont M5G 1X8

tel: 416-813-5513
email: leonardz at sickkids.ca

This e-mail may contain confidential, personal and/or health information(information which may be subject to legal restrictions on use, retention and/or disclosure) for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.