[GE users] installed under ge6.2u4

andy andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Mon May 3 13:11:03 BST 2010

Hi,

> Yes. I've seen this.
> And I wanted to ask.
>
> Why does:
>
> mv <arch>/sge_shepherd <arch>/sge_shepherd.sge61
>
> allow the daemons to contin ue while a copy does not.

a Unix copy creates a new file, i.e. a new inode. An open file in Unix is
accessed via the inode and copying a new file over the old one overwrites
the file behind that inode. Typically that results in a crash of the
affected binary sooner or later. "mv" (in the same filesystem of course)
does not change the inode, it just creates a new filename.

Andy