[GE users] max open files (ulimit -n) in SGEv62u5

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon May 3 22:46:14 BST 2010

Am 03.05.2010 um 22:01 schrieb mzhou:

> If I ssh into a node, "ulimit -n" shows 1000000. But if I submit a
> job through SGE, it shows 65535.

a) Long long ago we had a problem with an SGE implied limit for the
max. file size (and I found two different values for "unlimited" in
the kernel header files). At that time I got it working by defining -1
in SGE as hard limit in the queue definition (yes, minus one).

Well, as there is no entry for max. files value in the queue
definition, it might be hard-coded in the source.

b) What was the value set to, when execd was started? I'm not sure
whether its limit is set by SGE at all. So when you have a hard-limit
of 65536 when you startup the sgeexecd, it will inherit this limit.
Can you try to start the sgeexecd while a higher limit is in effect?

-- Reuti