[GE users] preferential execution on a host group

swaltner swaltner at mac.com
Tue May 4 19:00:22 BST 2010

I accomplish this by using the seqno queue sorting method. The default sorting method is based solely on the load of the servers, but like you, we have some systems that are much faster (3x or more) than the slowest systems in the cluster.

Two steps need to be done to accomplish this. First, change the sorting method. This is done by running "qconf -msconf" and changing the "queue_sort_method" option to "seqno".

Once you've done that, it's a matter of adjusting the seq_no for your hosts. When set to seqno sorting, the system with the lowest seq_no value that satisfies the requirements (slots available, memory available, etc...) is used to run the job. In my case, I set a low priority (large number) for the default seq_no, and then adjust the seq_no value as necessary to give priority to the faster systems. This is adjusted by running the "qconf -mq all.q" command.

seq_no   100,[grid001=80],[grid002=95],[grid003=85],[grid004=72],etc...

Steve