[GE users] Does "qdel" command not recognized in Korn-Shell ?

arvindpetaru arvindpetaru at gmail.com
Wed May 5 16:51:34 BST 2010

> File:test.sh
> --------------------?--------------------?--
> #!/bin/ksh

--is this the real ksh or pdksh which was often used in the past as a replacement? Shell startup mode is set to unix_behavior or posix_compliant (only in the latter case the -S option should have an effect)? One option could be to change it to unix_behavior and the first line of the script should be honored.

Arvind> This is the real ksh. By default "shell_start_mode" was "posix_complaint" and I changed that to "unix_behavior" and that doesn't seem to work either.

> #$ -S /bin/ksh
> #Works fine if above is /bin/sh
>
> #$ -M ramki at gmail.com
> #$ -m abes
> #$ -cwd
> #$ -V

And in the submitting shell the `qdel` works I assume. Can you add:
Arvind> Yes, qdel works fine in the submitting shell.

echo $PATH

in your demo program?
Arvind> Below is the ouput of the script with "PATH" variable added as suggested. It doesn't seem to contain the path the sge bin files location(i.e., /tmp/sge/ge6.2/bin/sol-sparc64). But the parent shell(submitting shell) does have this path(sge directory) in the "PATH" variable. And I'm exporting everything from the parent-shell to child-shell with SGE option(#$ -V).

Below o/p is with "unix_behavior" case:-
===============
SCRIPT STARTED
PATH=.:/usr/local/SOLARIS/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/etc:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ccs/bin::/emc/symmperf/character/EMCm
ark.REV7/POST_PROCESSING_TOOLS:/usr/symcli/bin:/adiosX/bin:

/tmp/sge/ge6.2/default/spool//lperf011/job_scripts/25[17]: qdel:  not found
SCRIPT ENDED
================

> #$ -o /tmp/nohup.out
> #$ -j y
> #$ -l hostname=lperf011
>
> echo "SCRIPT STARTED"
> sleep 5
> qdel $JOB_ID
> sleep 5
> echo "SCRIPT ENDED"
> exit 0

Is it a demo program, or why do you don't exit the script?
Arvind> I'm explictly calling 'qdel' in the script for sending emails in "ABORTION" case for any failures in the script.(not demo program)