[GE issues] Calendar and advance reservation

fredwag Frederik.Wagner at lrz.de
Thu May 6 08:06:26 BST 2010

Hi .*,

I have a problem in SGE 6.2u1:

We have setup for visulization system with multiple nodes and multiple
graphics cards per node. Through SGE a users can reserve a graphics card
to do their visualization job, for this an advance reservation system is
configured (its a batch queue, but interactive work).

Now there is the demand for a nightly batch queue (no ar) for normal
dataprocessing jobs (since the machines have lots of memory and they
idle during the night). So I configured a 'nightly' batch queue, with a
calendar attached to it (4-20=off 20-4=on).

My problem now is the following:
As soon there exists an advance reservation (for an already running job
or for the future) _no_ jobs are running in nightly queue. The scheduler
info gives (when the queue is by calendar enabled):
'(-l NONE) cannot run in queue "nightly at somehost..." because it offers
only qc:slots=0.000000 due to a reservation'

What could be the problem here?

The jobs in nightly _are_ running, when
* I take away the calendar, so the job is always enabled
* no advance reservation exists

I already played with the scheduler parameters Maximum
Reservation/Default Duration etc...

It seems that the complex slots is somehow influenced by pending
reservations... but why? Is this a 'backfilling' problem? I don't know
where to search anymore. Or is this a bug?

Thanks a lot for any help!
Bye,
Frederik