[GE users] Avoiding two jobs in the same node

dvadell dvadell at clustering.com.ar
Fri May 7 13:38:14 BST 2010

Hi everybody,

    Somebody sent a long-running job yesterday, asking for 4 slots ( we have
two quad cores per node, 8 slots ) and all the following jobs got 4 slots from
that node, whole nodes, and another 4 slots in another node. I would like to
configure SGE so that even if somebody asks for 4 slots and leaves 4 free, a 8
slots job won't be getting split into two nodes.

    I'm new to SGE, but have been using Torque/Maui for a while. In Torque's
qsub, I can ask "nodes=2:ppn=8" and get 2 whole nodes.

   I worked around it by accepting jobs only if they ask for multiples of 8
slots ( e.g. 8, 16, 24 ), using a JSV ( thanks! JSV are great!) . But I find (
or "feel that" ) this workarround a bit fragile.

    Is there a way to tell the scheduler to avoid scheduling two jobs in the
same node?

Thanks in advance,
--
Diego M. Vadell