[GE users] waiting time (start time) estimation

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri May 7 17:00:18 BST 2010

Am 07.05.2010 um 16:46 schrieb vkeller:

> I'm quite new in SGE (was on PBS/Torque/Maui before), so please sorry if
> the question might be dumb. I googled and parse the mailing-lists
> without success.
>
> Under Maui, there is the "showstart" script that gives an estimation of
> the starting time (thus waiting time) for a queued (not started) job.
> This is very useful for a user but also for higher level services (such
> as a meta-scheduler) able to schedule components-based applications over
> heterogeneous resources.
>
> Does SGE provides a similar service ? Or at least a way to access this
> kind of information (arcodb seems to store in view_job_times only
> running jobs information) ?

no, there is no such facility included. There were already several discussions about it though:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=232641

If you need some realtime features right now:

submit your workflow as several advance reservations, and submit one job in each. When the AR was granted, you can be sure, that your job runs at that time.

-- Reuti