[GE users] complex use of complexes

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue May 11 21:37:53 BST 2010

Am 11.05.2010 um 21:52 schrieb gragghia:

> Are you suggesting to break the job up into two jobs with different
> resource requests?  They would have to be running at the same time
> (something that I don't think you can guarantee), and MPI wouldn't
> know
> how to communicate with the processes of a different job.

In principle it's possible to hijack slots from another parallel job.
So you could submit one job with a request for 128 GB, and one
parallel job (which will only have a `sleep` or alike inside and
"job_is_first_task FALSE" [it could also wait for a file "+DONE"
written by the master job to quit automatically]) with e.g. 7 slots
requesting 2 GB for each slot as usual. Then the master job can submit
something with `qrsh -inherit` to the slots from the other job when
you change the $JOB_ID to be the one from the 7-slots job. Depending
on the used MPI version, it might be tricky anyway.

Bigger problem as you mentioned: how to force SGE to run both jobs at
the same time or not at all.

-- Reuti