[GE users] submitting a job via a browser

beatrubi beat at 0x1b.ch
Mon May 17 09:14:07 BST 2010

Hello!

Quoting <rayrayson at gmail.com> (16.05.10 22:59):

> The opensource implementation is GEP:
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/gep/GEP_Intro.html

Not so long ago I had a look at this package. Sadly it looks like dead code
as the underlaying iPlanet Portal Server is no longer maintained. Additional
it was Solaris only. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is another free solution called Rapid [1]. It's more a frontend to a
grid as to a single cluster and requires tons of dependencies. Nothing I
like to sell to a customer where I'm on a hourly based contract.

    [1] http://research.nesc.ac.uk/rapid

Finally I found some commercial solutions: EnginFrame [2] and EASA Portal
[3]. Both probably much too expensive for the typical cluster of 8~256
nodes.

    [2] http://www.nice.com/
    [3] http://www.easasoftware.com/

My conclusion was that no portal is really fitting to my needs (small, easy
to maintain, easy to adopt to different applications). Hacking some lines of
PHP/Perl/Python/Ruby is probably much more convenient when you really need a
portal - of course the best would be to teach your users to use the command
line.

Beat

--
     \|/                           Beat Rubischon <beat at 0x1b.ch>